Monday, December 19, 2011

It's Beginning to Look Like Christmas

It’s Christmas at our house (at last!).  Due to an over scheduled December, the decorations were FINALLY pulled from the Attic of Disaster.  Having the nursery right outside the opening to the attic makes it nearly impossible to accomplish anything attic related. Because we all know you gotta get this shit done when the baby’s sleeping. But of course attic shenanigans wake the baby up. It’s a horrific cycle. Lesson learned is that Santa will not be storing ANYTHING in the attic in the future. The shed is looking mighty fine my friends.

Growing up we had some AWESOME traditions throughout the year. Halloween we went for pumpkins at the same patch, Christmas we went for a tree at the same farm, Easter the girls get Easter flowers on Good Friday. EVERY YEAR. I loved it. I love that most of the traditions have carried over to my husband and I.  We’ve cut down a tree every year since we’ve been together – even when we lived in Georgia and there was a freakin lizard in our tree (and it wasn’t even a “real” pine, it was some crazy shrub/tree concoction that was spray painted green).

Bugs First Tree

You gotta haul that tree yourself
or it doesn't count

That being said, there are some rules in my family about Christmas Trees. The first is that you MUST have a live tree. That smell is what it’s all about and no candle can trick me otherwise.  Second, you have to cut down your own tree and haul that sucker back through the muck, mud, snow, sleet and/or rain to your car. No lot trees for us (No offense if you’re lot tree people, or fake tree people for that matter). 

Now here comes the crazy good part.  When I was little, Santa decorated my tree. Yes, I went to bed with a nekkid tree and no presents to wake up and find the whole thing decorated with lights, candy, ornaments and presents everywhere. We didn’t even put gifts to one another under the tree until Christmas Eve. I would have to wait until my parents were in the living room before I could come out of my room to see everything. And let me tell you it was like walking into a Christmas heaven! We weren’t a wealthy family by any means, but waking up and seeing all that glamour and presents and stockings were weeks before that had been nothing – WOW! I will have those memories FOREVER!

The Hubs thinks this is a fantastic tradition. So even though Bugs is still too little to understand, Santa will be decorating our tree Christmas Eve so that she can wake up to all the Christmas glamour. Now I’ll just have to take a lesson from my parent’s book so that she doesn’t sneak out without us when she's older. In all my years, I never did. But then I never hunted presents either because I didn’t want to ruin the surprise.  So this may or may not last, but we’re going to try. And I’m forever grateful for the love and effort my parents put forth for me to have such magical memories.