Friday, January 6, 2012

The Christmas Wrap-Up


Well it's better late than never right? Actually I was waiting so that I could add photos, but here is our baby's first Christmas!

The hats are Hubs and I's tradition.  And yes I made that plate on the wall in 1985!

My parents, Nene and Poppy, came to visit from the "south" (yes its cold here, you should know that you lived it for 50 some odd years) and stayed for several days. This in itself was awesome as we now had two extra pairs of hands to wrangle/control love/nurture Bugs. But also with them came all the traditions of my childhood such as Santa decorating our tree, getting up at the crack of dawn to open presents with tea and cookies, buying a new ornament each year, and Marshmallow (more on him later).   


 
 
 
When Santa decorates your tree, you have to ask permission to get up and go see it. If you get up before he’s come to visit and you see nothing, you will get nothing. That’s how it works. So you have to yell from your room “CAN I COME OUT YET?!” to your parents and they have to go see if Santa was there (I actually did that up until last year! Tradition, you know?) before you can come out.


In all our anticipation of Christmas everyone said “Oh, she’ll want the boxes more than toys!” Pfft! She didn’t even want that! She wanted nothing to do with opening presents (even though we wrapped hers in tissue paper for easy access) all she wanted was her old toys. That was until she got to her scooter! And even then she wanted to put her toys in scooters trunk instead of riding it. Hey if she’s going to clean up after herself, I’m not going to complain!


Bugs new scooter and cheesy grin we love!

Then came the grand finale. Marshmallow. I had no idea he was coming. I knew he was around somewhere. And now, now he’s at my house.  Marshmallow is a handmade rocking horse that my dad (Poppy) made for me when I was 3. And I loved him fiercely.  And Poppy saved him, restored him, and gifted him to Bugs. AND SHE LOVES HIM! Of course she does, he has tons of sharp edges and dangerous moving parts! What’s not to love right?

Overall it was a fantastic, whirlwind weekend of family and friends and lots of love, and food, can’t forget the food. (Or wine. Lots of wine.) And I can’t imagine it any other way!